Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recent MBA grad/Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa113

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2003
US
Hello,

I am a HRIS (Human Resources Information Systems) Manager for a mid-sized bank. I have been working here for 8 years and have turned the department around with technology and outsourcing solutions. Working here has tought me a lot about managing technology however we use simpler solutions and outsourcing options. Because of this I have not been exposed to ERPs like Peoplsoft, SAP, or JD Edwards. This is limiting my options for a career in consulting.

I am getting my MBA in Technology Management in February and I'm not sure what direction to take with my career. I would eventually love to become a consultant. I am best with problem-solving and leveraging technology however all of these consulting firms want ERP experience.

My choices are:

1) Becoming a business systems analyst with my current company. This will give me more consulting experience but no exposre to ERP.

2) Explore other larger and global organizations for a HRIS position and gain experience in ERP's before moving to consulting.

Any advice?

Hi,

My advice would be to get some programming experience under your belt.

If you can program, and get good enough at it, then the ERP experience will come. (PROMISE!)

Hope this helps,
Noble

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

One of the things you can do is look inside your company and see what low-level ERP opportunities are.

I've found that many of the higher-end companies like SAP, PeopleSoft and oracle are developing products for a small-medium business market.

Be careful in how you define the term 'Enterprise.' An enterprise class application simply means beaing able to logically manage groups of users, tasks and data in a tiered system. Allowing for this, then you certainly must have opportunities within your own company. Perhaps your view from the HR department is currently limiting your vision; don't let it.

Surely you must have disparate data sources? Mixed platforms? Lots of paper? Redundant keying of data? If you are used to simpler solutions and lots of outsourcing, it sounds as though you are pretty comfy, and thus may be missing the drive to move forward in your current capacity.

I'd suggest looking around you first. Give yourself time to evaluate with this in mind. Folks do well, especially consultants, if they have the vision and competency to sell their ideas well. It may be a good idea to...

... look within your MBA program: are their opportunities to perform some sort of project that combines your coursework with your job and come up with an ERP implementation case-study? Something along those lines may fuel your fire and keep you from getting discouraged.

Hope some of this helps...

~wmichael

"small change can often be found under seat cushions

sa113:

I am a HRIS (Human Resources Information Systems) Manager for a mid-sized bank. I have been working here for 8 years

Okay, so you've been there 8 years and still getting a paycheck. Now, look in front of you and see what else you can do for your employer.

and have turned the department around with technology and outsourcing solutions.

hmmmm. Are you managing people ? Hows that going ? What else can you do ?

Working here has tought me a lot about managing technology however we use simpler solutions and outsourcing options. Because of this I have not been exposed to ERPs like Peoplsoft, SAP, or JD Edwards. This is limiting my options for a career in consulting.

Consulting is often taken or perceived as "status" or some symbol of accomplishement. In a sense it is for those that are truly qualified. Your sights are set high- back to the bank- what aren't you doing ?

I am getting my MBA in Technology Management in February and I'm not sure what direction to take with my career. I would eventually love to become a consultant. I am best with problem-solving and leveraging technology however all of these consulting firms want ERP experience.

Getting an MBA doesn't put you into the "head of the class" just among the many that have an MBA. Settle down a bit.

My choices are:

1) Becoming a business systems analyst with my current company. This will give me more consulting experience but no exposre to ERP.

2) Explore other larger and global organizations for a HRIS position and gain experience in ERP's before moving to consulting.

Any advice?

If you can't attach the above questions and haven't had a complete vacation for 2-3 continuous weeks; then take a vacation- completely. Then go back to work. The banking industry is going through a lot of changes, turning, spinning, taking, changing, making change...there's plenty of opportunity in an industry that never seems to run low on cash.

Best Wishes

The older I get, the less I know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back