Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving SMTP messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dg043

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
GB
Hi,
I've read a lot all over the internet about how it is possible to send emails using SMTP. However, I would like to know if anybody knows how to RECEIVE emails using SMTP. Basically, I have an email adrress on an SMTP server and I want to know if I can check it using VB .NET 2003?

Dan Griffiths
Software Analyst
National Grid plc

the smtpclient sends emails, it does not receive them. For that you will need a 3rd party library to read the email. (or build your own, but why re-invent the wheel). a quick search returned smtppop. there may be othes.

as a side note. vb.net (and c#) is not versioned by year, they are versioned by number. vb.net 1.0-4.0. the VS IDE is versioned by year which loosely corresponds to a version.
VS 2002 = .net 1.0
VS 2003 = .net 1.1
VS 2005 = .net 2.0 (addons for 3.0 compatibility)
VS 2008 = .net 3.5
VS 2010 = .net 4.0

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Thanks for that, Jason. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to admit it!

Dan Griffiths
Software Analyst
National Grid plc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back