Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving Mail Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppedersen1

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hi, I am using Outlook (2000) on Windows 2K. When I press the Send/Receive button it gives me an error.

&quot;Could not fetch new headers in the inbox for <my computer>. An unknown error has occurred. Please save any existing work and restart the program.&quot;

Any ideas what this means. I was able to send an email, to myself, but I haven't been able to receive it.

I tried setting up the SMTP through my Computer Management window.

Basically, my advice is to check your Outlook settings. Tools / Accounts / pick your account, go to Servers tab and make sure all the info is correct.

You can try using mail2web.com - use your email address like MyName@POP3Server.ISP.com ( like steven@mailhost.ultranet.com ) and your password. If that works, you have an Outlook setup problem. If that does not work, you have the wrong ISP or wrong POP3 server name or wrong login name or wrong password.

Doesn't sound like it's a settings issue, sounds more like a program problem. Usually when a application tells you to restart, there's something more than just email settings. You may have to reinstall Outlook.

Try Help ->Detect and Repair first. It might save you the hassle of reinstalling Outlook.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back