Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving Events from COM object

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRoeCassNet

Programmer
Feb 8, 2002
US
I have a COM object that I created which monitors connections, etc. to a system. The object runs as an NT Service and fires an event when connections are started, stopped, etc. I have various front-ends which can monitor the service (C++, VB) and they work just fine. When I try to make the front-end using HTML or ASP I can create the object just fine, but I can't get it to receive the events. I've tried using the CreateObject and the <OBJECT> tag and just about every conceivable way to define the event, but still I don't get any events. I'm using InterDev 6.0, has anyone done this or can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

An ASP page only executes on the server for a tiny moment in time and then it finishes and the response sent to the user. It would not make sense for it to pick up COM events - which is why event wiring not included in the Scripting Language syntax.

What you would need is a way of pushing event notification thru to subscribers - which I believe that 'web channels' or 'push technology' is meant to achieve. Basically, a user opens a web page (thus becoming a subscriber) and the event is then pushed through to their (and all other connected users) browser. Don't know much more than this - but you would probably find that Java and C++ have the facilities of creating the required HTML streams. Or .Net in any language.

Alternatively, you could create a web page that 'polls' on a regular interval. You would need something on the server that persists the recent event notifications, so during each 'poll', any new events can be extracted from your persistent object and added to the web page.
(Content Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back