Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving Email in .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sameal

Programmer
Aug 6, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to receive email programmatically in VB.NET? Or at least point me in the right direction. I found documentation on sending email in the System.Web.Mail namespace, however there are no objects or methods for connecting to a mailserver and checking for received email. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Sameal,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm in the same boat as you were when you initially posted this. Let me know if you made any headway.

Thanks,

D'Arcy

Thanks PankajBanga, that helped me too.

One further question though, how can the emails be marked as read?

in VB6 it was just something like:

TheItems.Item(Counter).UnRead = False

but I don't see any properties or methods on the Item in VB.NET to accomplish the same thing.
In fact the only thing that pops up for Item is GetType.

I must be missing something...

panka/techno:

thanks for posting that link Panka. We'd looked at that option already, but had to dismiss it because you can only use the Outlook object model IF Outlook is actually installed on the client machine (else it becomes a license issue).

Techno, from everything I've read you have to handle marking emails as read/unread within your own application. The object model for the messages doesn't handle that.

Thanks,

D'Arcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back