Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Received Number ( 9 ) conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwalters

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2013
US
When dealing with DID numbers that have the last 4 digits starting with a ( 9 ) would you consider using 7 or 10 digits for the RN from the CO?

I have read some posts that some people always use 7 or 10 to always avoid this issue. I know I can have the CO mask the number but is it a good practice just to have the CO always send 7 or 10? We just switched to 10 digit dialing this year.

Will the internal DN's be able to be programmed still with 4 digits?

Thank you

You can program the extensions/dns what ever you like the recived digits are seperate

davidwalters said:
Will the internal DN's be able to be programmed still with 4 digits?

To add to what cook1082 said, there are two separate settings:

System Programming > DN Length
System Programming > Received Number Length​

So, DN and RN lengths are indeed independent from each other. Changing one value won't affect the other.

davidwalters said:
When dealing with DID numbers that have the last 4 digits starting with a ( 9 ) would you consider using 7 or 10 digits for the RN from the CO?

RNs cannot conflit with line pool access codes, destination codes, the DISA DN and the Auto DN. If you are having such a conflict, it might be a good idea to increase (or even decrease) the RN length.

For example, 9 is often used as a destination code to make outgoing calls on a PRI trunk. In your case, it would conflict with the existing RNs, so you would need to pick a destination code that begins with another digit. You could also choose to use 9 as a destination code and use longer (or shorter) RNs.

davidwalters said:
I know I can have the CO mask the number but is it a good practice just to have the CO always send 7 or 10?

I don't believe longer numbers are easier to work with: they are more difficult to read and remember. They also increases the odds of making a mistake when entered. I suggest that you stick to the shortest length that works for you.

What is really important is that your system is programmed to use as many or fewer digits than what the CO is sending. For example, you could have the CO send 10 digits, but only use 5. Your system will drop any leading excess digits.

You can also have your carrier translate the 9 to a hidden 8 if needed.
i.e. Caller dials XXX-XXX-9XXX still but carrier and KSU program as 8.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Or next time you order DIDs, ask for the range that matches your DN range internally..Only time I ran into a problem was with a ROLM CBX in a GTE area with one CO and ONE exchange..when I was installing the DIDs, I asked GTE for 4 digits beginning with 36 (to match the internal extns)...the only DIDs they had left started with 0 or 9..Went ahead and got the 06xx range and translated in the ROLM...of course, here's something to laugh your butt off with....SAIC took over IT and now the voice side of the company...they are changing all the sites (covering 4 states) to Cisco (1st dumb mistake...overpriced and I would pick Avaya IP instead) and they wanted the internal numbers and outside to match.....SOOO did they contact Verizon and ask for new DIDs starting with 36?? NOOOOO, they changed the internal extns to start with ZERO (#2 dumb mistake; qualifies as the biggie)......yes 0xxx is the extns.....

As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

your assumption is correct on changing to seven digits would probably correct the problem but keep in mind on many installation where I had a conflict and the carrier was sending 4 digits I set the received digits to three and it worked just fine, you can set the received digits to less but not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back