Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receive error trying to reconnect drive mappings on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2003
US
Here is the story:

Our server (we'll call it AppServer)have drives mapped to other servers. These servers are rebooted every week to two weeks depending on it schedule.

AppServer reboots fine. When it logs into the domain (the servers in this domain auto-login) it gives an error stating that it cannot remap a drive to one server (we'll call it WebServer). All other mappings connect. After clearing the message I can go into explorer, click on the disconnected drive and it is able to find the server and reconnect.

I know - I thought the WebServer was in the process of rebooting/relogging back in while AppServer was rebooting but it is not. It is up the whole time AppServer going through its rebooting process.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Even though it says it didn't connect, did you try accessing it anyway?

NT4 is weird like that, this happens all of the time. Even though it *says* it didn't map, it really did.

Yes and I can.

Here's the REAL problem:

These reboot on the weekend.

Our DBA has to connect to this server and clear the message before it will finish loading windows.
Everything is scritped so nothing has to be done manually - except for clearing this.

We would like to find a way to solve this before our boss has to monitor these one weekend (we don't think he would like to have to connect to this server on the weekend..).

Anyway, any suggestions would be most sppreciated.

Well... in your script have it disconnect all shares, reconnect all shares and then *reconnect* them once more.

It's cheap, but it may work.

tried setting the nic on offending server to
full duplex 100mbs instead of auto i`ve had this before and it was a speed issue.

off course the setting will depend on your switch/hub

OK - I will check that.

I should clarify that we have scripts for shutting down apps and shutdown and startup of the server.

The mappings are connected via windows (i.e. setting a mapped drive to reconnect at logon).

why on earth would you want to reboot every week??

Sounds like you have some deeper problems than just that error msg.

Other than that, the suggestion to disconnect mappings on shut down and re-map on startup may be your best option

Why?

Because leaving NT4 up for too long of a period causes memory leaks which in turn causes our app servers to generate exception errors.

We reboot them every two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back