Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receive Connector security configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
I have always been able to use telnet to send unauthenticated email to internal users for testing purposes and thought that's been great. But that ability has just caused a problem where one student has found the ability maliciously used it to send an email from another user to a third. So I need to look at the security of the Receive Connectors.

Here's the scenario:
[ul]
[li]Ubuntu server runniong SpamSnake/MailScanner receives email from the Internet and passes it to Exchange[/li]
[li]2x Exchange 2010 servers (EXCA1 & EXCA2) with CA & HT roles[/li]
[li]2x Exchange 2010 servers (EXMS1 & EXMS2) with MX role[/li]
[li]Many servers on VLAN10 (10.10.0.0/16) and VLAN11 (10.11.0.0/16) should be able to send unauthenticated internally[/li]
[li]Clients using Outlook 2010 are on several VLANs (10.20.0.0/16, 10.21.0.016 etc)[/li]
[/ul]
There is a connector labelled Default EXCA1 with the following settings:
[ul]
[li]Network/Use these local IP addresses to receive mail - all/25[/li]
[li]Network/Receive mail from remote servers that have these IP addresses - 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255[/li]
[li]Authentication - TLS, Basic Auth, Exchange Server, Integrated Windows are enabled[/li]
[li]Permission Groups - Anonymous, Exchange users, Exchange servers, Legacy Exchange servers are enabled[/li]
[/ul]
There's another connector that has the IP addresses of the server VLAN to allow unauthenticated sending.

Is it as simple as removing the Anonymous permission from that connector? I tried that and I could still send but I suspect I may need to restart the Microsoft Exchange Transport service for it to take effect. Is that correct?

Does a connector need to be set up to allow the SpamSnake/MailScanner server to send unauthenticated mail to Exchange? Would this just specify it's IP address and allow Anonymous permission?

Thoughts?

On the default connector, you want to change this:

"Network/Receive mail from remote servers that have these IP addresses - 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255"

Assuming your internal subnet is 192.168.5.0, and your mail server is 192.168.5.5--It should instead be broken into three ranges:

0.0.0.0-192.168.5.1
192.168.5.254-255.255.255.255

That way only mail server itself and the rest of the world is allowed to send via SMTP through your server, but the hosts on the network are excluded--they can only send via RPC/MAPI via an Outlook client or via OWA.

The problem with removing Anonymous is that the user is probably authenticated already, merely by dint of being logged on to a domain-joined computer.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back