Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receipt Printer on Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkuck

Technical User
Mar 1, 2010
US
I've been trying to install a receipt printer on an old Mircos 3700 server to create another workstation. Does it need licensing to run a printer? I've tried a thermal and a ribbon printer (both Epson) and couldn't get either to work. I did create a printer for the server in the 'Devices' tab and changed it each time I changed the types of printer. Any suggestions?

No licences are required for the server to run a printer. You will need a DB9 connection and configure that port (baud, bitrate, stop bit) and configure the device in configurator.
From Devices tab you have to change print classes to use this device, then in the Workstations tab allow them to use the prder device and/or printer.
Lastly reboot the server for the PrintHosts.xml to be updated

I'm not using it as an order device, just a receipt printer. I have everything seemingly configured correctly.

I tried connecting a thermal printer with a 25 pin to the device on the back with the 25 pin connection. I think its the license key. That didn't work. It just continuously spewed out a bunch of question marks - though I seem to remember the old laser printer connected to that port...

25 pin? That sounds like LPT not serial DB9 as Mr.Pinks stated.

For LPT isn't the port 0x378h ?

I wish that I had some more micros experience but alas I did all my hospitality pos system work on Squirrel and Pixel Point.

Actually.. I could be wrong I forgot about legacy serial:

The port is composed of 4 control lines, 5 status lines and 8 data lines. It's found commonly on the back of your PC as a D-Type 25 Pin female connector. There may also be a D-Type 25 pin male connector. This will be a serial RS-232 port and thus, is a totally incompatible port.

Even then I doubt this user is properly configuring the printer in Micros?

(Not to say you're not trying, I'm saying I think there's a configuration section you aren't finding)
:)

I finally got it figured out with a bit of help from the local Micros guy. I put a serial port on the back of a Epson T200, or TU200 whatever it is. Changed the dip switches on the bottom, configured the port under Network Nodes and was still having trouble...

I think what finally solved it was going into Window's Control Panel > Ports and configuring the port there because it gave me the option of x-on/x-off what ever that is, but Micros didn't give me the option to check that box.

So it works now. Thanks everyone for all your help. I've learned so much on this forum. Just wish I had found it years ago when I was using Micros more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back