Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reccommend Tape Drive for Poweredge Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

power1243

Technical User
Aug 8, 2007
GB
Hi,

I am looking Tape drive for Dell Poweredge 2950 Server. I called Dell support they said u must use dell tape drive with your server and reccommend me Dell PV110T LTO3 200GB. But i cann't spend so much money at this time.
So my friend offers me IBM Tape drive 39M5657 IBM LTO 400/800GB TAPE DRIVE. I am not sure is it compatible with my server or not.
Please suggest me can i use this IBM tape drive for my server or help me to find one compatible with my server.

Thanks

Well! Dell doesn't make tape drives themselves, so getting a PV110T will most likely contain either an IBM or Quantum drive wrapped in some sort of Dell plastic, with a Dell defined inquiry string.

If you get into trouble - either with configuration or operation, Dell will most likely not be able to assist (as it is not 'their' drive) - however most drives are fairly simple to configure - just make sure you have a supported SCSI controller to connect the tape drive to.

Cheers,
Jesper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back