Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reccomendations, Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dBjason

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US
CR 9

Not sure if this is on-topic, but I'm desperately trying to find some sort of solution for this.

We're getting a new server. Yay!!! Finally, we can move our production warehouse to a worthwhile server and use the existing one as a test environment for our developers, which right now consists of me and one other person. This is all good, except for one thing: we have hundreds of Crystal Reports we need to copy and redirect to our new server.

I'm trying to find some sort of report management software which (this is important) can take a large group of reports and change the datasource location (server name & alias) for all of them. So far we've tried Report Inspector. It seems to be decent software but unfortunately it doesn't have that ability.

Can anyone point me to a decent resource? Software, a method, heck I'm not above writing a custom script to do this if I can avoid tediously changing the datasource manually for a (very) large number of reports.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

I guess the problem we have is with aliasing. It seems to work alright with reports who's datasource hasn't been change, but with reports where it has changed (and the alias has not) Report Inspector generates an error. Unfortunately, a fair chunk of our reports have had thier datasources changed (ie: sp to a view, sp to a different sp, etc..).

Ahhh, I see.

Not sure of a way around that.

Perhaps a VB program will work.

Since you still won't post your database type and the connectivity, I give.

-k

eek... Sorry, SQL Server 8 with ODBC (RDO) connectivity

Get in touch with rptInspector tech support. They should be able to fix the issue.

- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Jason,

Both .rpt Inspector 3 Professional Suite and .rpt Inspector 3.1 Enterprise Suite support moving from one data source to another. Also supported is batch SET Location / Convert Driver / Verify database (and if the destination requires fields to be remapped, you'll be prompted via the familar field mapping dialog) via DAO / ODBC / OLE DB / Native (DB2, Informix, Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase).

All of this is done via our "data source / database conversion and migration" wizard tool (which is one of 16 tools in the Professional Suite, and one of 19 tools in the Enterprise Suite).

--
Software Forces

Add-ons, Tools, Utilities for Business Objects / Crystal Enterprise, and Crystal Reports: .rpt Inspector, SPL (Smart Pick Lists), SmartObjects, SmartObjects Admin Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back