Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebyte File Server Performance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesgray

Vendor
Dec 24, 2003
CA
If anyone is running a Rebyte File server, could you tell me how well it performs. I'm thinking of setting one up for a small network of 12-15 users, large amounts of data (graphics guys), file sizes are typically 50+ MB.

Hello there! I am a reByte dealer and have been using reByte's (tm) for quite some time. It is super easy to use and I think that as long as you build a decent box you should have no problems with 50 MB files. I have backed up GIGS of data with one of my reByte systems on a 100 base network and have noticed no traffic issues.

The reByte system will work perfecly since you are using it in an environment of 12-15 users. RAID will be used, get atleast (2) 200GB disks and you are good to go. You might want to consider using a gigabit nic in the box too, with a 1000 base switch to keep load off the network... just an idea. Have the reByte do daily (or more) backups will make your "end users" extra happy since they'll never have to worry about their data being aced. The reByte can also be mapped so files can be uploaded with ease.

If you have any other questions, need a rebyte system built or want to save a few bucks on ordering a reByte kit, take a look at my site:
You'll like the reByte, super easy to setup and deploy! Just plain awesome IMO!

Max

Hey there... a reByte based file server is perfect for a small business. You should have no problem with 15 users (or even more) as long as you use decent ardware.

My company builds network backup devices using the reByte OS and we clients as large as 100 users being backed up with no problems. Also we've built and deployed some units over 1TB. The key is to use high quality components.

Good luck!

Gene Naftulyev
clonebox.com

Thanks for your input. After talking to Mike, I decided I was interested in becoming a rebyte dealer myself up here in Canada, but I wanted to know from someone else if the thing is as good as it sounds.

Actually I was thinking of setting my first one up with a raid 5 of 4 x 160GB drive as the main file server with a secondary similar server in the vault as a secure backup of that server, in case the place burns down.

I glad to hear that the peformance is good with these. I do appreciate your input. I was beginning to despair of hearing from anyone.

Thnaks again;

Les Gray

Hi
A most interesting post. I am just starting to use reBYTE in the UK and am awaiting my first shipment. I ordered it a week ago and am waiting for them to arrive.
Please may I quote you guys in my web site. genen, you web site is very informative.

Hello to all -
I just installed my reByte and everything works great, except I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out permissions for folders. I'm using reByte as a fileserver. I RTFMed and I still can't get the user passwords to kick in. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back