Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rebuilt domain, "patch package could not be opened. . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmithind

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
I run a small 10-user Windows 2000 Server network with XP clients. I rebuilt the domain and then, to get to XP clients to be trusted by the domain controller, removed them from the domain, and then rejoined them.

After doing this, two machines wouldn't run Outlook 2000. The message was "This application must be installed to run. Please run Setup from the location where you originally installed the application."

Well, running setup doesn't work, even when I sign in locally onto the client. An error comes up saying "The patch package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer patch package." I try to uninstall Office and the very same error comes up. I can't uninstall or reinstall. I can't even repair the installation. It is so stuck on "the patch package can't open" that it seems I have to reformat the drive to make it work.

I tried doing a Microsoft Installer Clean up, but the W2000 version isn't for XP it seems.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back