Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuilding the superblock 3.2v4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

edfair

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
US
I'm trying to save data on a system that glitched the superblock on 7 divisions over 2 primary and 2 mirrored drives. Has anyone had experience doing it? What tools did you use?

This was using a DPT controller feeding the mirrored set of drives so suspect that the controller was the issue. The divvy table is intact to give block utilization.

I'm going to try implanting a superblock from an identically created system but a little hesitant until I think out the possible ramifications.

And if I get the superblock back for what is needed I'll move the system onto a different controller.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I seem to recall use of an Alternate Superblock with FSCK. The hardship was that you needed to know the number/location of the alternate superblock. If you google that phrase, you will see lots of examples on various flavors of UNIX. There's no way of knowing if that is your only problem, however.
Good luck. Nasty problem.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

I read somewhere that 4.2 didn't have an alternate.

Using winhex I can compare the superblock of a properly operating drive with the same parameters with the one that won't boot and can't see a difference. So it looks like it is deeper than the superblock.

My next step is into the boot sector for possible differences.

And it is possible that I'm not looking at the right sectors for the superblock.

Thanks for the help.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back