Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuilding Exchange Server 2000, W2K Server....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2001
US
We are having troubles with the OS and Registry on our Exchange Server, so we plan to back up the Information Store and Rebuild the server from scratch.

The only think that gives me any concern is that we are naming the new server the same name as the old server.

Is deleting the Exchange Servers computer account in Active Directory good enough, or should we use the ADSE Edit tool to remove all references to the old server in Active Directory.

The new server should definitely have the same name as the old server. Otherwise you will find that your mailstores will refuse to mount.

To that end, there should be no need to delete any computer accounts.

If the disk structure is the same when you rebuild the server, then you shouldn't have too many problems.

You need to be as sure as you can be that the backup you took, that you are going to restore, is a good one.

You need to be backing up with a good Exchange 2000 aware backup program, and if there are any doubts about restoring this server, then I would get an Exchange Server up on a test lab and test a backup and restore (worth the effort).

Restores are always scary. Probably the scariest bit in IT. Just thought I'd say that :)

RobbyB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back