Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuilding an NT server to different hardware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBass

Technical User
Dec 21, 2000
DE
I'm trying to rebuild an existing NT server to new hardware just by using a full backup. Has anyone had any experience with this?

if there is a differnce between old & new hardware, then after restoring the data. You have to install the software drivers for different devices fixed in the system. The domain name, computer name & other network settings will be remain same i.e, old hardware configuration. I have changed the harddrives of the server from one machine to other machine with different hardware configuration. I had to install the drivers for different devices fixed in the system.

Best way to do this is to install a fresh NT to a different directory when prompted i.e. WINTMP instead of WINNT.Then install your archival software. You can then restore the backup from the tape - without problems associated with locked files etc which would normally not allow a rebuild.
Worthwhile precaution is to edit the BOOT.INI file to add a line that will load the temporary installation of the operating system. This is simply accomplished by copying an existing line from BOOT.INI and changing the directory name to that of the temporary installation. Thus if there are any problems with the restored version of NT then it is still possible to boot the machine and correct the problem.
The following 6 files should be copied from the temporary installation to the restored version of NT server (these are all located in the SYSTEM32 directory of the operating system):
HAL.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL, NTDLL.DLL, NTOSKRNL.EXE, WIN32K.SYS and WINSRV.DLL these are all machine specific.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back