Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuild DNS?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

middi1

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
US
I think we are having a problem with our DNS within my DC. I am having problems with users logging in. It says the domain cannot be logged into. Also when I try and ping a pc or anything on our network it returns the name along with our domain name. Someone told me you can uninstall DNS on the controller and reinstall DNS and it will rebuild and not affect Active Directory. Is this true? I really don't want to try this and lose my Active Directory. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

I would not uninstall DNS.

Check your DHCP settings and see if your clients are being given the proper domain prefix.

When you ping and the name returns with the domain name, that seems natural to me. Here at Shazam Enterprises, when I "ping mtzlflk" I get a response that says "pinging mtzlflk.shazam.com". If your local DNS server finds the A record in its files, it will return a fully qualified domain name to you.

On a client, open a command-line and run NSLOOKUP. Do you see the server that you expect that client to be pointing to? Type "ls [yourdomainname] -d". Does it list all the hosts in your domain? Is there at least one record that says "gc._msdcs"? What IP address does it point to? Is that the address of your domain controller? If not, you have problems with the AD-related records in your DNS zone.

ShackDaddy

It seems to get the correct info to the clients. But if I ping Yahoo.com from the DC then it tries to ping Yahoo.com.mydomainname.com(where mydomainname is the domain of the dns server). Also my Exchange server can create users but cannot create mailboxes.

What are some of the error events you are getting related to creating mailboxes?

In the DNS Admin Tool, get properties on your server and run some tests from the monitoring tab. Which succeed or fail?

You problem is probably in the DNS tab of your server's IP config. On my servers I have the "Append primary" radio button selected and the checkbox below it checked. I didn't populate the "DNS suffix for this connection" box and did check the "Register" but didn't check the "Use this connection's DNS..." checkbox.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back