Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboots automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl931

Technical User
Feb 27, 2001
US
My system appears to be rebooting randomly the only new device that was added was Sony DVD writer. Any ideas????????

can you give more information on the configuration? how many devices are on ide 1 and ide 2. if the dvd writer is on, say, ide 2 and you also have a cd burner, which is the slave and which is the master? are you using cable select? sometimes random reboots can be solved by reseating the memory or processor. but, if this started happening right after you installed the dvd writer, there may be something having to do with the drive. i'd download the latest driver from the vendor first off, after verifying that the jumpers are set correctly on the drive (and the other drive on that ide cable, if necessary).... is it possible that during install you may have accidentally moved the memory a bit? sometimes space can get pretty tight....

I had this problem when I replaced a slave CD-ROM drive on IDE-1 with a DVD-ROM drive. I couldn't stop Win2K repeatedly telling me that it had found new hardware and rebooting. I gave up, backed up data, and reinstalled the operating system whereupon Win2K happily recognised the new device and installed just fine.

[lipstick]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back