Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebooting DC Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

E1Designs

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2005
US
Is it valid that if I reboot the DC after Windows Updates, let's say, that I should reboot all the other servers as well? Exchange, File, etc... There is no BDC.

I can't see any reason why you would need to re-boot any other servers, as you are not updating them.

Agreed, there is no reason to reboot the other servers unless you are patching them as well.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

3rd party support we had, stating that because it was the DNS/DC that it needed to be started up first then wait and then turn all the other servers on. Or if you reboot the DC, then you need to shutdown the others or reboot them as well after it has come back up.

It sounded odd to me, so I came here :)

Thanks Folks!!!

No, not at all.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

I have to disagree with everybody. If your Exchange Server looses connectivity with the Global Catalog for an extended period of time, then the Info Store will shut down. So the need to do this will depend on how long it takes for your DC to recycle. Exchange will automatically try to reconnect to the GC, but after a few failed attempts it will shut down and a reboot is in order.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Mark has a point, but this is just about rebooting the DC

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Yes, but if the DC is also the GC and it takes too long to come back up, then the Exchange server may stop functioning...that was Mark's point I believe.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Ahhhh now I am more confused ;/

How about a 5 minute reboot on ocassion, an issue?

No way of knowing for sure. What you'll have to do is just check your other servers after you reboot your DC and see if they log any errors.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

If it's that much of a problem invest in a second domain controller and have that DC host a copy of the global catalog.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Windows spits out errors in the event viewser all day long which aren't errors (this is an exaggeration of course but I am trying to show a point), which is why I am looking for some validity on if anything will "cease to function". If it spits out errors but cotinues to function, that is fine.

Exchange will log very specific errors that it has lost connectivity with the Global Catalog. When that happens you should plan on rebooting Exchange, plain and simple.

Other servers should not be affected by this situation but Exchange is dependent on the GC and anything more than a minute or two will cause you other problems.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Devils advocate:

If there is an update for one windows 2003 server, wouldn't the same update need to be applied to each server? Then requiring reboot anyway (eventually)...

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

Ok, good deal. Will always do the DC then Exchange, the worry about the other servers later.

Thanks Again, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back