Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboot prompt after updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayee

Technical User
May 27, 2004
GB
Hi,

Is there a way of getting rid of the irritating prompt that Windows XP keeps popping up to ask the user to reboot following an update ?

Appart from the annoying nature of the message, there's a risk that the user may accidentally click on "restart now" and waste time waiting for the PC to come back.

I realise the updates do need a restart to complete, but almost all of my users shut down their PCs at night, so they'd always be applied the following morning on boot-up.

Even if it requires registry editing, I am happy to do this.

Regards,
Jay/UK

Can you make use of the /NoRestart switch?

Command-line switches for Windows software update packages

Group Policy offers this type of control and settings for Automatic Updates, see if you can use that?

Computer Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ Windows Components/ Windows Update.

Hi,

I wasn't sure about the /norestart switch you mention because the updates are downloaded automatically. The user gets a gold screen in their taskbar to prompt them to install them, and I couldn't see anywhere in there to add command line switches because as soon as it completes it starts nagging for a reboot !

However, I did check out Group Policy and have enabled the NoRestart option in there. There seem to be a lot of options which could be very useful to me as a system adminstrator - however, is there anything (any cautions, perhaps?) I should know before I start using it to make configuration changes to the PCs in our network ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jay/UK

Hi again,

I've just made a few simple changes with Group Policy edit, but they haven't taken effect.

Do they only take effect after a logoff/logon or a reboot ?

Regards,
Jay/UK

It may not be an immediate result, see these threads for more details.

Group Policy Porcessing probs
thread779-1158150

XP won't receive GP
thread779-958115

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back