Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboot Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklow

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a MetaFrame1.8 server. When I reboot it, it can't boot from hard drive. But I can reboot it from floppy disk which contains boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com files. I thought something wrong with those boot files, so I copied those three files from another identical server to the floppy disk, put it in,I can boot my citrix server from the floppy just fine. Then I renamed these three fils on the hard drive and copied the known good files to the hard drive, restart---no go! I have checked the hard drive with antivirus software, nothing can be found (I am not sure if norton check the boot sector or not). Now my citrix server is running with a floppy in it. It seems something wrong with the boot sector not hardware related problems?

Please help!

Thanks!

Is it too much to hope that the recovery disk is able to rebuild the boot sector and associated files?

Recovery disk ??? heh :p Steve Marshall
Group IT
Technical Support Supervisor
(aka General Meddler)
The Expro Group
Reading
UK

When you boot what kinda message do you get? No ntkernel.??? found?

For example the above error is usually as a result of creating a second primary partition and then the boot.ini isn't changed to reflect that the files are actually somewhere else.

Soooo, need to know what is happening there....

Tpulley

Is this a Compaq Server with Raid Controller....???? Are you getting a "Non-System Disk or disk error" message....????

If you've had no luck so far, could it be the master boot record.
You could fix this with an MBR fixing utility.
Theres rumour that fdisk /mbr would sort this out.

If you've had no luck so far, could it be the master boot record.
You could fix this with an MBR fixing utility.
Theres rumour that fdisk /mbr would sort this out.
mison@haysmacintyre.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back