Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboot NBX v3000 using a command via the serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwizz2000

Technical User
Jul 22, 2014
AU
Hi,
I have an application where i need to remotely power on / off a 3Com NBX v3000.
However i cannot access the web interface to click shutdown.
Is their a way to send a shutdown command via the serial console port.
I have looked at the VXWorks pages and it has reboot BOOT_NO_AUTOBOOT which from the description should do what i want it to do.
However when i try the reboot command from the console or type help, this is an unknown command.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave

<Ctrl> R from the serial port will reboot the 3COM. This will also be considered a graceful shutdown so the system will not perform a full system file check upon the reboot as it would if you just cycle the power.

I have, on occasion with a locked up system, seen where even this will not reboot it and a hard reset is required. ~ Mike

Thanks for the help.
Using the CTRL + R i was able to reboot the system. I then watch the boot process and their is a point where it asks if you wish to enter a configuration menu. If so you press any key. Therefore i wrote a short C++ routine that sends the CTRL+R then waits for the press any key to get into configuration menu, sending a character 'A" and this puts the machine in a safe position to kill power. If anyone wants to know more or wants a copy of the c program just leave a message and i will see what i can do.
Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back