Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reboot loop XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearyogi

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
US
I didn't see a forum for Home users.

I'm running XP home latest updates. I've been having this issue for quite some time. Whenever you install changes and have to reboot the machine will continuously restart. Once you push the power button and shut it down, it comes back up fine. It doesn't sound like a virus to me since once you turn it off and back on it's fine. It's just annoying when a program asks you to restart and it gets stuck in a loop, and I don't know what else to try.

Thanks in advance.

In System Properties, go to the Advanced, then Startup and Recovery Settings.
There is a tick box to allow system restart when system failure occurs. Untick this box and see what happens.

How does it behave if you boot via the Restart button yourself and do not rely on any programmed restart/boot procedure?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back