Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reboot help for solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

roopar

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
US
I have installed Solaris 8 on an ultra10 sparc machine to get experience. I was trying shutdown and reboot on the machine. It shutdown appropriately but when it tried to reboot it did not go to the prompt where it says control–d for normal reboot after changes, but came up with a question enter filename [[-d]]: could any one explain what this means. I am novice where Solaris is concerned. Any help would be appreciated

What command did you use to get to this point? I basically use 2 commands to shutdown/reboot. If you are root and do an init 6 the system will shutdown and reboot and you won't see the Ctrl-D. If you need to power the system off, do a init 5. I don't use the shutdown command unless I have to.

Hope this helps.

A "control-d for normal startup" message will only occur when you booted to single user (reboot -- -s or boot -s).
If you want a cold reboot. you'll probably do an init 0 or 5, and then at the Ok prompt, you'll do a "boot" (disk by default), otherwise you can simply type reboot or init 6.
And to be safe you can do a "sync" command twice before you reboot.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back