Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboot AS400 without terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpetree10

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2007
US
First off I just want to say I'm an AS/OS 400 novice, we only have it for legacy information so bare with me if I don't understand.

The problem we're having is that at random the server will stop allowing clients to connect using the iSeries emulator. I can see the server in the iSeries navigator and can bring up information on it. Also if you plug in a twinax terminal it will connect but that is where my problem is... I've always been able to fix the client issue by rebooting the server but our only terminal died so I have no way to get into the system now. Is there anyway to reboot the system elsewhere like on the front panel? Does anyone know why it's randomly not allowing emulation clients to connect?

Thanks in advance!

if you can connect via emulation,, then sign on as system security officer, and do a reboot from there.. Why does this not work???

I can't connect via emulation, that's where the problem enlies. When you open the connection the status bar says "connection successfully started" but the menus/login doesn't appear.

setup a new connection,, be a different terminal ID.
See if that lets you in.

so you have no one that is connected to the AS400,, so it is not being used by anyone is that correct??

Yes, that's true. No one is connected to, or using it.

Well hell,, there is a way to ipl from the front panel, but I cannot remember,, never did it that much.. Anyone have the answer???

OK had to go look at the front panel,, in your display it should say 01 B N ,, ie ipl, fron the "b" side,, and normal,, we have a white power button,, press it..

The display says that, 01 B N, I hit the power button and it did nothing. It seems that the IPL is loaded because I can access it from a Twinax terminal. I just can't access it from the emulator. Can I change the IPL to A then back to B? Would that cause any problems?

Let me clarify... the display on our twinax terminal is broken, but I can kind of see the login screen so it is connecting but it's unuseable.

I can signon on the terminal but like I said, I cant really see what's on the display so I can't use it.

then do go power,,, this takes you to the pwer menuy,, option 4, powers off, and then back on,,, look at the screen closely,, to see if it wants another command key to verify powering off, and back on..

Ok, I was able to use the terminal to reboot it, I just had to remember all the commands. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back