Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RealVNC breaks Dameware

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbourne

MIS
Sep 11, 2003
Alright this is frustrating as all getout. I don't really know where to turn, but in our environment we use Dameware NT Utilities. Its an older version, 3.70.

We use this program for just about everything remote desktop related. The problem comes in when a vendor introduced their computers into our environment we noticed that they use a free program by a company called RealVNC. The problem occured when we couldn't use dameware to connect to these machines.

We installed RealVNC (client only, not server) onto our machines to get remote connection capabilties to those machines. But now, we cannot connect to our own machines using Dameware. Gives a winsock connection error.

I have tested this in a lab, but am at a loss. Once you install RealVNC, even if you uninstall it, dameware can no longer connect.

I know the problem is handshake or authentication related, as VNC handles both of those a bit differently, but I can't seem to track down what VNC changes that would prevent my workstation from accepting connections from a dameware client.

Can anyone who is versed in remote desktop programs lead me down the right path? Its almost like VNC in an effort to "secure" the computer it is installed on, changes something in the OS or registry or even a DDL, but when you uninstall it, VNC doesn't undo whatever the hell it did.

ARRRGHH, I'm pulling my hair out! Please help!

I am using Dameware 5 and RealVNC without any problems - so I suggest to update Dameware ...

--------------------------------------
>>>>>> Bugs will appear in one part of a working program when another 'unrelated' part is modified <<<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back