Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Realtek HD Audio: Driver will not load :) 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussteve

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
I have just built a brand new machine, fresh build of xp etc and would appreciate any input on a problem that has come up. The Gigabyte motherboard I am using has a Realtek HD audio chip, and for the life of me I cannot get the driver into it. The build was all finished and I realised that audio was missing. The category "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" within the Device Manager has an exclamation mark, no driver. The motherboard cd runs and reads that all devices are installed. I have tried to individually install the driver from files on the cd but get right to the end and have an error code. I try to update the driver in device manager, it searches, finds the cd, loads the driver and then fails, saying the data is invalid. I have downloaded the driver from Realtek as well but it does the same thing, goes right through the process and then fails at the end. I suspect Windows has decided its file is the only one and refused to change its mind. Any suggestions would be received gratefully :)

The only thing I can suggest is to try completely clearing CMOS and resetting the BIOS, making a note of any custom settings before doing so. Then make sure the BIOS settings for the sound functions are all enabled.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I had this problem with a new motherboard. I believe it is caused by a driver incompatibility between certain versions of HD audio drivers and Windows Universal Audio Architecture.

The solution for me was to disable HD audio in the BIOS. Then delete Windows Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) in Device Manager under System Devices in Device Manager. Then delete the yellow exclamation mark Realtek HD audio in Device Manager. And then re-enable HD audio in the BIOS. Finally, install the Realtec HD drivers making sure it is a version that is KB888111 fixed.

Thanks for all your valued replies. I will try these things and see what happens! Much appreciated

Steve

Frank4d,

That idea sounds like a winner for that situation in general. I know I had a person I was helping with his laptop, and went in circles trying this driver and that driver, uninstalling the Windows HD Audio stuff, reinstalling that and/or the audio driver in different order, and it just wouldn't correct itself. Of course, the sound on this laptop was fine before, it just quit working after some other changes. And frankly, from the way I was told, I'm not sure we'll ever really know ALL the changes. [wink]

But this one is due for a system redo anyway. He's got some other issues, and is wanting me to just reinstall the whole system.

'Course, I s'ppose it could actually be the hardware. That's what we're hoping it's not for the laptop, since it seems I can't find any PCMCIA sound cards on the cheap any more.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

This issue turned out to have an unlikely cause. Without subjecting everyone to the long and involved story, the machine had a conflict with the ram, causing all sorts of strange behaviour. I had Kingston with proprietary Kingston chips and we had all this trouble. In the end it was swapped out for more Kingston ram but with different chips and a BIOS flash. Cured. I have never seen more wacky faults in a machine yet!
Please accept my thanks for all your posts. I was very appreciative and it gave us food for thought in the diagnostic process.

Cheers

Steve

Out of curiosity what was the chipset of this motherboard?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

That does seem odd. I recently worked on a laptop, and b/c of multiple issues, just ended up doing a clean install. The sound issue (along with other things) went away after the clean install, and I couldn't get any driver on the face of the planet to work before that!

Fun Fun Fun - that's how we describe troubleshooting ailing PCs. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

It was a P35 Chipset on a Gigabyte EP35DS3 board. This was then changed to a DS4 board and we still had the grief.
The processor is an Intel Core 2 8400 with 2 Gig of Kingston 667 Value Ram, which turned out to be the main contributor to the issue.

Regards

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back