Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really Supid Question - No Dial Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabiousa

MIS
Aug 13, 2001
BR

Guys,

I have made lots of changes on my PC. Even unplugged the modem card when it was on and I am not sure if I burned it.

The thing is at first I couldn´t even start Windows NT (SP6). I had a message saying that there was an error on Explorer.exe (0XC00005) or something alike.

Anyway, I uninstalled my modem (on my own way) and I am able to start WNT with no problems. I presume the modem was causing a problem.

I tried to connect using it and had a message from my dialer saying that there was an error on the device.

I took a look and found out there are two places on my Control Panel where I can configure modems. One was called MODEMS and the other one (which doesn~t exist anymore) was called PCICARD MODEMS. Anywa, I made sure both configurations were the same, pointing to COM2.

I guess things are getting better. When I tried my dialer again the message has changed. I get 680: No dial tone.
The bad thing is that if I turn the laptop´s volume on, I can hear the dial tone. (Actually it's not a flat tone, it´s an extention tone. 0, needs to be dialed first).

Any guesses why it says there is no dial tone if I can hear it? The specific dialer or any other standard dial-up connections won´t work and I will get the same message.

any ideas would help me a lot,
thanks

FabioUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back