Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really strange - can't create a folder called con

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roaders

Programmer
Aug 5, 2001
GB
Strange one this. Is there any reason I can't create any folders or files called con in windows XP? does this happed in other OS's too?

Doesn't matter I'm just interested.

Thanks

Giles Giles Roadnight
messenger: giles_roadnight@hotmail.com

Roaders,

Funny you should mention this, but just yesterday, I had a user complain about not being able to move a Word document called: "con.something.something.doc". I found it unusal, to say the least!

Unable to rename the document, or even delete it, I was frustrated! The cure, was to open the file, (oddly this WAS allowed!), and choose "File", and then "Save As", using a different name.

Seems odd, that one could save a file by this name, and then not be able to perform other operations on it, except to open it! I'm still scratching my head!

This file was on a Windows 98se PC, by the way. Sorry not to be of any help, but I would venture to say that, yes, it happens under other O/S's, too!

[pc3] Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

CON is a special file and always has been. So are LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, and AUX. At some point in the remote past, CON stood for CONSOLE and you could write to the CONSOLE (monitor) by sending data to CON. I've never actually send anyting to CON but I frequently check printers by "DIR /W >LPT1" followed by "ECHO ^L >LPT1" (where ^L is CONTROL-L). If the hardware is good, this should go straight to the printer, regardless of drivers. The ECHO part is necessary because otherwise the data may be cached in the printer but never go to the paper. The ECHO command flushes the printer cache. Unfortunately, the ECHO also includes a CR and a LF which causes the next sheet to load. There are ways around that also but they are slightly more technical.

If you try to save a text file as "con" you should get a window explaining the error of your ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back