Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really Slow Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhurst925

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2006
US
I have a user who is using Excel 2003. He keeps telling me that when he opens excel to update information it takes an average of 5 seconds for the text to display on the screen. I went down there to take a look at it and it was exactly as it says. It would allow about 5 characters at regular speed and then it would take about 5 seconds for the rest of the text to appear. During the time it was waiting to display the text it would show "not responding" I uninstalled the entire office suite, restarted the machine and re-installed Office. That did not fix it, I knew it wouldn't be that easy. I have turned off all non-essential processes and services, run a disk cleanup, and defragged the hard drive. Not to mention running spysweeper, and Norton AV software. Although he did have some spyware it was not a lot and it was removed. I am out of ideas of where to head next. It is only his excel that is having this issue. All other programs work fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

Any addins that may be doing this - Try deselcting them all and adding back one by one.

What about his toolbar customisation file ( *.xlb )
Used to be issue with that in earlier versions, but always possible it is corrupted slightly.

How about a personal.xls, ie his personal macro workbook - again, corruption always a possibility.

There's a whole host of things to take a look at in the following link, maybe one of those can help:-

Regards
Ken.............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Thanks for the input. It turns out that deleting the registry entries and restarting excel solved the problem. Thanks for pointing me to that link.

Matt

You're very welcome. Well worth bookmarking that particular link.

Regards
Ken...............

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back