Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really really odd distribution list problem in exchange 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaCo

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2012
EU
Hi, I really hope someone can help me, i've looked everywhere for a solution and its almost as though i'm the only person to ever have seen this fault!

We have exchange 2003 (Fully patched-Native mode), all works well except emails sent to distribution lists from an external email address.

These emails work so long as the list(group) has 14 users or less. If I email the group from an internal address there are no issues.

If I add a 15th user to the group the mail fails, it will send to 2-3 members of the group and no one else. (I see this through message tracking and have confirmed it by checking mail boxes.)

We have a mail gateway in front of the exchange server which filters spam using Open Relay Filter (ORF) and Sophos puremesaage/antivirus on the exchange server itself. (Exchange is also the PDC) I assume the gateway isn't an issue as Exchange is the server expanding the group and if i email the group recipients as individuals the mail goes through.

I have made sure the group is universal and checked all the size/connection limits on the SMTP connectors.

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thanks for reading.

I've had this problem for nearly 12 months now, and a couple of hours after posting i've managed to fix it.

For the record, there was a setting under the X.400 protocol that had a checkbox checked stating "Expand Remote distribution lists locally"

Unchecked it and now it works! Hurrah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back