Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really dumb question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasparrelli

Programmer
Sep 13, 2000
US
Let me preface this by saying I am a database developer and completely new to web development (I've got the hang of CF as a language now but not pinned down web concepts in general)...

Having said that, I've noticed a number of sites with paths as url strings but no page names appearing at the end
For example:

Is there some way to hide that page info? Or are these some other special kind of page as managed by IIS? If parts of the url string are "hideable" can you hide passed url params like cfid and cftoken?

Thanks for helping a beginner.
Kim

I haven't seen any real way to do this, other than passing those parameters as form variables, or putting the site in a frame, where the user won't see the variables in the address line. (They can easily get the properties of the page which will give the entire url including any url variables, though)..

DM

Most commonly these urls refer to a home page on a web server, where the home page file name is predefined in the web server's setup, such as MS IIS.

Most of the time the file name is default.htm or index.htm.

You simply don't see it because it's stored in the webserver setup parameters. It is also quite possible to redirect you from a default page to another url or server altogether.

To add to all this, it is also possible to create a virtual directory with one name that is actually pointing to another directory, even on another server..

You may also concider passing the var's via session, application, form or any of the other methods of maintaing "State" on you site. You could have all of you processing done from just index.cfm and keep passing form var's back to the same page and and useing conditional logic to show what you need it to show. Not recamended but hey what the heck...
-KingJes

Also consder using .htaccess if your plugin for IIS supports it:

DirectoryIndex index.php3 index.cgi index.shtml index.html index.htm default.htm default.html

will open a directory in that order and hide the filename

If you don't want others to see your path and parameters,use Frame.
Hope it helps

GH

If you don't want others to see your path and parameters,use Frame. Also, as dlkraft said, need to set the server to default page.
Hope it helps

GH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back