Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Realia 3.x and Laser printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefanwest

Programmer
Feb 7, 2001
US
I seemed to have a problem getting HP Laser Printers to work with our applications. I print to printers by using cobol open command using "LPT1[N]" as a file name. I can use PCL commands with no problem at all except I keep getting a left arrow symbol being left in the print buffer after I close the file. I suspect this is an EOF marker but nothing I do will prevent this from being put into the print buffer. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do.

Thanks

Steve

Hi,

use for binairy files. That will not give you carriage-return and linefeeds. So if you need them - and I am sure you do - you have to write them yourself.

A carriage-return and a line-feed can build with the following source:

002500 03 TEMP.
002600 05 FILLER PIC X VALUE LOW-VALUE.
002700 05 TESTVALUE PIC X.
002800 03 TESTVELD REDEFINES TEMP PIC S9(4) COMP.
002900 03 CRLF.
003000 05 DECIMAL-13 PIC X.
003100 05 DECIMAL-10 PIC X.
03200 .........................................
005200 MOVE 13 TO TESTVELD.
005300 MOVE TESTVALUE TO DECIMAL-13.
005400 MOVE 10 TO TESTVELD.
005500 MOVE TESTVALUE TO DECIMAL-10.

I hope this helps

as you noticed, the from binairy was interpreted instead of displayed.

Another definition for the carriage control line feed would be:

05 CRLF PIC XX VALUE X'0D0A'.

The X preceding the value means that the value is in hexadecimal in Realia and some other COBOL's.

P.S. If you don't want to make all these changes to your program, you could always just force a page-eject before you close the file. Betty Scherber
Brainbench MVP for COBOL II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back