Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real World System Requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktigre

MIS
Mar 14, 2002
US
I know the system requirements for Exchange 2000 as posted on Microsoft's site. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a realworld system requirement, or have a web site that has a good calculation of how much HDD space would be required for message store and the like?

We are going to be supporting 350+ users and many of them have 4000+ messages kept in their mailboxes and many megs of attachments.

Thanks,
Chris

Well is depends obviously on how much disk space you want to allocate and whether or not you want to implement restrictions on mailbox size. Based on your numbers I would estimate 50Gigs should be enough. I would reccommend using RAID 5 on your exchange server so that you can expand the array on the fly if you need to, this will also require hot plug drives with empty bays for expansion. Dual processors are great for an exchange server as well and anything in the 1GHz range and beyond is fine P3/P4. Invest in good backup software (Veritas) with the exchange agent and get the intelligent disaster recovery agent so you can easily restore the entire server should the need arise. Good antivirus software is a must, Trend Micro or Sybari make excellent products, Symantec is ok too, however they first two companies have more experience in protecting exchange.

AM

My recommendation would be to concentrate your efforts into fast hard-drives. 10K RPM in a raid array is what I suggest.

350 users can be quite a lot for one regular server alone.
I'd fill it up with ram (2-3 gigs), have at least 2 processors (ghz or better), raid 5 on a controller with a lot of cache ram (128mb +). 50 gb disk is filled up in "no time" with mp3's and videos, if you are planning to go without any limits.

It would have been interesting to see xybertrons opinion on this.

"I" would use 1GB Ram and a 1GHz Processor. Then lots of fast drive space!

If that can't handle 350 Users then you have other issues :) Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back