Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real tough problem: If you think your hard enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hello!

I've tried and tried and tried to get this problem sorted but no way will it resolve.

I have a GP for a OU in AD (jargon or what!) where My Documents should be redirected to \\server02\user\docs\%username%
This doesn't seem to happend to new users. I've had to remove the policy stating that they cannot modify the location and get users to type it in themselves!!!

After the inital problem it works OK as the computers remember where they should go after the user types in the new remote location.

Event Viewer saids that the user cannot access the folder. The user in question can get to each and every step of the journey. (to \\server02, to \\server02\user\ etc.) and even create a folder at the end.

HELP!
Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Do you still have the error if you create the users folder before they log on for the first time?

Yep! 'Fraid so. Andis has been using XP with redirection for a while. The other day he computer exploded, and I got him on a Win2k Pro box. Same OU, same policies etc. It wouldn't redirect automatically. He has been using his folder for a good 6 months!!! We had to type it in manually.

Thanks, Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Steve ( Not Ex-Launceston are you?)

Goto Folder Redirection in the GPO you have created.
Right-Click on the Folder you are re-directing.

Ensure that on the Target Tab "Setting" is set to Basic

On the Settings Tab, ensure at least the "Move the Contents of My Documents to the New Location" box is Checked.

Regards [spidey] Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back