Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real time sync. between DB2/RS6000 and DB2/AS400

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericwong

MIS
Oct 3, 2001
HK
Hi,

I want to get more information, pros and cons about DB2 propagator and DB2 joiner. From the facts and features, DB2 propagator is a tools for sync. DB2 data to "diff. platfrom and diff. database", isn't it true?

For my case, I want to sync my db2 data between RS/6000 and AS400 mutually. Is DB2 propagator a good choice?

Pls, give me some advice and share your experiences.

Thanks a lot
Eric Wong

Eric,

I have used DPROPR on many applications and found it to be very reliable. I recorded the results on one project I worked on and less than 3 minutes after the user had created a Customer on one database, it was on a database(on another machine) I was wishing to replicate it to. This could happen much faster, the main time delay was due to how often my application2 queueing mechanism cycled.

The processing involved was roughly

Create Cutomer (on source database using application 1)

DPROPR read DB2 logs and copy to staging tables

Application 2 reads staging tables and creates customer on target database.

A great advantage of DPROPR is you can do away with "traditional batch runs. For instance where in the past you may have extracted changed data from 1 table to insert into another in an overnight window, you no longer need do this. You can let DPROPR pick up the changes as they happen and if you so desire, process them near real time. It is very useful in 24 * 7 systems due to giving you the option of not needing batch runs.

In earlier releases of DPROPR you didn't have much say when requesting a row to be replicated, you got it whenever something happened to it. However with later releases you can for instance ask for only inserted rows, only updated rows etc or even only rows where a column contains a particular value. It is now much more configurable than its first releases.

DPROPR currently runs on the following platforms so should suit your needs.

AIX, HP-UX, Linux, MVS/ESA, NUMA-Q, OS/2, OS/390, OS/400, Solaris, UNIX, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT and z/OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back