Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real time readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbayeta

Programmer
Apr 4, 2003
AR
Hi,
I'm builduing a php page and I want some boolean values in my DB to be shown in real time.
For example, I have four bool values like
val1 true
val2 true
val3 false
val4 true

and I'd like to show this values in my web page in real time. If one of these values changes, I want my page to show that, without having to refresh the page (if someone can helpme with this issue also, I'd be very grateful).
If I use SQL queries, how can I know if a value changed ? Should I constantly poll my DB to know if changes occurred ?
This data must be shown in real time.

Thanks

the only way how to make it "real time" without page refreshing is to put some java or something similar on your page that polls data from your database in specified intervals
i don't know any way how to make it html only - the page after being generated on the server is sent to client and cached there, so he needs to refresh if he wants actual data

btw the data could be already outdated while rendering the page in the clients browser ;-)

I confirm what piti says.
Definitely you have to reload the page or just one Java applet that calls records from the DB but something has to be refreshed.

Bye

Qatqat The reason why my girlfriend can read my thoughts is because mine are properly written! (G.Lepore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back