Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

real time data check on html/asp form

Status
Not open for further replies.

endoflux

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
Folks--

I've seen this in action a million times, but haven't figure out how to do it:

I have a form with, say, 15 fields in it. They're all text entry fields, and have the traditional HTML structure where "Submit" posts the entries to the referenced page.

For Field #7, the data entered is currently selected from a drop-down containing 2500 records-- not very efficient to search through. How would I implement a Search feature on this field, in which people could type in a couple characters of the entry, hit "search" and select from a subset of records, without reloading the page or posting the rest of the form?

Other solutions to the problem at hand are very welcome as well!

Thanks!

Hi

Then
[ol]
[li]Capture the key presses ( see Jeff's code in thread216-1399234 )[/li]
[li]Send the string to the server ( see forum1600 )[/li]
[li]Do the search and return the data ( search for an ASP forum )[/li]
[li]Display the possible matches ( you can come back here with this part )[/li]
[/ol]
You know, some time ago the PHP site had a similar functionality for the function name search. I liked it. But after a while the functionality disappeared. As far as I heard, it did not worked for some users and even made the search itself useless. Honestly, I would ask myself first "am I able to make it better than the PHP site administrators" ? Then I would give up the idea.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back