Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real-time Cisco Training 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludoggg

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
Hey guys, just a quick question. I work solely on a Windows platform for my company and I have really no opportunity to gain hands-on, Cisco experience. Any ideas for what I could do, i.e internship, volunteer, etc? Even though I am certified, most shops want real-time experience. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

kumputirgeek, CHDP, CCNA, Network +

Ludoggg,

I think you listed several like - internship

Cisco Graduate and Intern Career Programs -

or volunteer - this would be harder because many places might not want non-paid people around the infastructure for security reasons! Might try a school or a non-profit in your area.

You can also do like lots of us and build your own home lab with equipment off eBay - I wish I still had the link but I saw a story about a 3 time CCIE who had about $50,000 of equipment in his basement to practice and demo what he consults on!

Hands on experience is hands on experience - even if it is in your own lab - and I do not mean just getting 1 or 2 2500 routers :)

I am lucky I have lots of routers and switches that I take care of at work for a Cisco Network Academy at a college. But I also have a complex "home" network of routers/switches/firewalls/servers and PCs. My Internet connection is through that setup and all 11 computers/servers on 4 seperate networks in my home can talk to each other and access the Internet.

If you get the hands on practice - you will at very least be able to "talk the talk" and that might be all you need with your certs and other job experience to get in the door.

You also did not say what your education is - you might look at an AS or BS in networking or network security - many colleges are part of Cisco's Network Academy system and you would be able to get lots of hands on as well as work towards a degree - that will not hurt in the long run !

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

RossHoskins,

YES, that is it - WOW now that is a LAB!!!!

Thanks for finding that link!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back