Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

real simple word question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreikun

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
hello all. im typing up a resume on microsoft word 2000 and i want to cut down the spacing between every line. right now, i think its set to single spacing but id like to make it .5 spaced or something like that. can anybody tell me how to do this??

happy new year,
REI

REI,

Happy New Year to you too.

To change the line spacing, use these steps:

1) Highlight the paragraph(s) you want to change.

2) From the menu, choose: Format - Paragraph.

3) Then, in the "Paragraph" window, look for "Spacing", and under Spacing, look for "Line spacing".

4) Under "Line spacing", click the "pulldown arrow", and choose: "Exactly".

5) To the right of Line spacing, under "At", specify with the up-arrow or down-arrow the exact spacing you prefer. With this particular option, you can be more "precise" in the spacing.

6) Click "OK" to finish.

I hope this helps. :) Please advise as to how you make out.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Hello Dale. Thanks for your response. I did as you suggested, however, the spacing doesnt seem to get any lower than '1'. I highlighted the entire page, then pushed the down arrow to make it '.25' then pressed 'ok'. but the page remains at the same spacing as it was before. i dont know why. is there another way to do this?

thanks for your help.

--REI

REI,

It's got me puzzled. I know my experience with Word is not as comprehensive as others, so hopefully someone else can come up with suggestions.

The following suggestion is only "hunting in the dark". However, all I can think of is that you might have something on your page that is "in conflict" with your paragraphs - perhaps an inserted image or whatever.

Perhaps you might first save your documnent as a separate "test" file, and then begin to "experiment" - both with the content of the page, and with different font and paragraph settings. This could include deletion of one or more paragraphs, and then conduct your testing on the remaining paragraph(s) - to see if you can "isolate" the parts - the parts that do work, versus those that do NOT.

Good Luck. :)

Hi,

Dale's tip worked except I didn't choose "Exactly" in the drop down box, I chose "Multiple." I must admit that 0.5 line spacing caused text to "merge" top to bottom. Very hard to read.

Font chosen was Times New Roman.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

hello petrosky. your tip worked. thanks alot!

--REI

Peter,

Thanks for helping out. :) ... a STAR to you for your efforts.

Thanks Dale!

I note that the very unpopular EXCEL CUTE QUIZ has resurfaced ;-)
mmm, not much interest in that one!

Cheers,

Peter Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back