Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ready, no idle devices are available

Status
Not open for further replies.

siulong2002

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
GB
Hi guys,

I'm getting the above message anytime i try to run an inventory on BE 10d.

What happened was our HP Storage works Autoloader became jammed. So it was disconnect via the scsi cable and sent off for repair. We've got it back now working and reattached it to the server (literally just plugging the cable back in) but know when i try to run and inventory i get the ready, no idle devices are available message.

I haven't rebooted the server as yet and i was told that it could be that the scsi ID needs to be picked up again and a reboot would do this. Does that sound like it could be the problem? It was working fine before that. Literally all we've done is disconnect it and reconnect it. Now backup exec is displaying that message. when i click on devices or media the tapes are there but i'm assuming this is catalogued info or cached and that its not reading directly from the robotic storage?

I'm not to up on how scsi works but i'm being told that you need to force and initialisation for the controller to see the device again its not like plug and play. Is that right?

Do you think a reboot will fix this? Thanks in advance.

Yep, you need to reboot. The SCSI bus will only identify devices after a reset. Make sure the deck is powered up, connected and has finished POSTing then bring the server up.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

After rebooting the server i can now get it to pick up the robotic library. But i have a new problem which is strange.

I can run an inventory and that is successful. I can see it interrogating the tape drive so its communicating definitely!

But when it runs the backup over night i'm getting this error

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
"Backup- ServernameStorage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to space backward by file marks.
Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

I'm a bit confused how it can be an I/O error if i can do a inventory?

Any help is much appreciated!

There is no green light on the back on the terminator??! Do you think that would have something to do with this problem? Although if it wasn't terminated correctly wouldn't the inventory fail as well???

An inventory is a very small and quick read of the tape header, basically just fetching the tape's label. So an inventory could work while a larger data read might fail.

Good cables and terminators are critical.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Thank you for the reply!

This is the error that is coming up from the first sever in the selection:

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\Server\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

So seem like your right. Once it tries to read the data it fails..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back