Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading Windows Media Player Library 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djjd47130

Programmer
Nov 1, 2010
US
I came up with an idea for a project, but it requires being able to access the Windows Media Player database. I know nothing of how WMP stores the info, not even where to find it on the HDD. I tried Google, but nothing related to Delphi. Does anyone know how to read the WMP library?

JD Solutions

PS - All I need to be able to do is read the listing of all the music (not videos or other) along with its artist, album, filename, etc.

I know I can read the files' properties, but it should also be saved win the WMP library.

JD Solutions

Import the ActiveX control "Windows Media Player (Version 1.0)". Have fun.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Actually I already have it imported, I did a project for simply playing music. I didn't see anything in there related to accessing the library. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. However, I have no need to actually play any of the music, only list the music that's in the library.

This isn't too serious of a project, if I see it becoming easy, I will go ahead and do it. Otherwise, it's just an idea right now.

JD Solutions

IWMPMediaCollection appears to be what you are after (and its in that particular listing).

You find the media list files at: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Thanks, I owe you one. My mind is still wrapped in another project though, I will take this one up when I have a more clear picture how I want to do it. The idea is to read the library, sort it out by album/artist, sort by track number, and re-build the media library's folder structure in one place. I have not yet found any good software which sufficiently organizes my library the way I like it.

I'm sure it's very possible to also read the files themselves, but that would be a lot more work. It would be more flexible though, seeing as I wouldn't be depending on an ActiveX control, or any third-party stuff. I'd only be reading the Windows API.

JD Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back