Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading Trans.log file of dated subdirectories in Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.

justadoode

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2007
US
Hello POS gurus,

Aloha TS 6.5 or later, windows server 2003, 2008, office XP Pro-

I'm wanting to know if there is any type of software, plugin or utility which can read or translate the data in each trans.log file in the dated subdirectories or in the data folder. The reason I ask is that we are working with a company which provides small, table top devices that interact with customers but the reports we get from them are just a tiny bit off in accuracy. I reasoned that if they could import the trans.log file directly, parse the data and then export the data into their databases, the data would be accurate. However, I know the trans.log file, although textual is in some different format. Can anyone suggest anything?

I found this on tek-tips:
"You can use Crystal to read the data from the summary files generated by the end of day. To read the actual contents of a Trans.Log file requires a special application called "LogUtils."This application is available from your Aloha reseller, it requires a special HASP key to allow its use. With it you can split / merge / view / fix Aloha transaction logs.It is very powerful, and very easy to use, once you get your hands on it."

It didn't have much more than that, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks!!

Charles

No way to do what you want. The trans.log file is encrypted and cannot be accessed or read with any utility. Aloha has COM software interface but only to it's registered vendors. The DBF files created during the grind process contains the information extracted from the trans.log and can be used, also there is a database interface where Aloha dumps information realtime to an sql type database. I'm not sure if it's a seperate module $$$ or not but it may provide you with another avenue.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Coorsman

I have a feeling that is what they call "Data Mart"...but not 100% sure.

Thanks Coorsman!

Charles

There's a small utility file called logviewer.exe comes only with ALOHA EDC . If you have purchased ALOHA with EDC you will find this file. This small software let you to view & edit the TRANS.log file .
i hope my little advice helped you

best regards
Mahmoud Sabri

I have Aloha and EDC but no logviewer.exe. How/ where did you get it?

The special HASP key mentioned is $5K. We had one stlolen last year in a break in and had to replace it. The grind process will read the trans.log files then it dumps all information into the gnd*.dbf files in each dated sub.
There is no other way to read the trans.log file "in real time" other than contacting Radiant Systems and obtaining a license and com interface for your vendor's software but good luck with that.

OR:
In Aloha Manager - Reports - Audit - can give you a dump of the trans.log file manually, it can also be exported.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Thanks for the idea but the
Aloha Manager - Reports - Audit isn't showing the efrequency member number.

I am trying to interface my existing loyalty program with aloha.

any other ideas on how to get check number and member number to align?

So after looking digging in the log file I was able to grab enough data that was in clear text to link the transaction to a individual.

I wrote a program that will dump that data into SQL.

With this I should be able to continue writing my middleware application.

I have decided to make it my personal goal to decrypt as much data as I can from the log file. I don't expect it will be easy to get past aloha obfuscation and/or obscurity but non the less I am sick and tired of companies not giving me access to "MY DATA!".

I am going back to my computer science roots and am going to write something that will turn the trans.log into something that I can use.
Anyone that wants to help let me know

Aloha: I love you front end but for god sakes your data structure is soooo 1994

coorsman can you send me a msg via tahoemiah at castlepeakit dot com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back