Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading the Hard Disk Serial Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaburia

Programmer
May 9, 2006
A2
Hi,
I am a new user of oracle developer/2000 forms. Please assist me with how to write code or code for reading the personal computer's hard disk serial number from oracle developer forms.
Regards,
Kaburia

Which version of forms are you using in 'Developer 2000'?

thanks. i am using oracle developer/2000 forms version 4.5

There may be something you can use in the D2KWUTIL package, but I'm not sure where you could download that now for forms 4.5. D2KWUTIL for forms 6i is stall available from the Oracle OTN website.

thanks lewisp but what is this D2KWUTIL package and what is it i can use to read the hard disk serial number of a personal computer using code written in oracle developer/2000 forms version 4.5? please assist
regards,
kaburia

D2KWUTIL is an add-on for forms on MS Windows. It adds a number of useful utilities, such as a file open/save box and the ability to read or write to the registry. There are plenty of other tools in there as well and there may be something you can use to get the drive serial number.

The version currently downloadable from OTN is for Forms 6i, but you may be able find an older version for 4.5.

If you could upgrade to forms 6i you could use the version from OTN directly.

thanks lewisp,
the project we are running now is one where we are re-engineering a legacy application that is in character mode running on dump terminals(unix main frame based) we are converting it to graphical mode to run on client-server(on windows personal computers) so we may not be able to upgrade the ver 4.5 now because of time and compatibility constraints. however, i have seen the library you wrote about(Thanks a lot! i have learnt something new!) i.e. D2KWUTIL it is in the folder C:\ORANT\FORMS45\PLSQLLIB i have seen WIN_API functions but i don't seem to get a function to read the hard disk serial number or something else unique on the personal computer. so my problem is still exists!. please assist guys!!!!!!!!
regards and thanks
kaburia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back