Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading the GAL (Active Directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33man

Programmer
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I'm trying to create a javascript function that I can run from my browser. The webpage form will take the login name of a user in the GAL, and return specific elements from the user's GAL record (email address, phone number, etc...). Security is getting in the way of my testing.
1. I need my script to first get the credentials of the locally logged in user (me). I have read-only access to the GAL.
2. I need some simple code that will perform an LDAP query in the GAL, and return specific attributes.

I have tried several examples (thanks to Google) and all of them fail in one way or another.
Suggestions or hints are welcome.
Mike

Javascript has no access to the local machine at all. That would be a security hazard if any JS script on the web could immediately access local resources to the machine.

Likewise JS cannot access server resources such as LDAP directly. Basically what you want to accomplish cannot be done with Javascript alone.

If you need to check an LDAP, your best bet is Activex and IE or an ASP script server side that does all this and returns the info to an Ajax Js script that can then use the info it receives.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back