Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlespeechumuthu

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
We have Powervault 122T connected to Poweredge 6300 running NT4 SP6a.
We have Quantum DLT-VS80 connected to Poweredge 6650 running NT4 SP6a

Both are using Arcserve IT 6.61 build 834 as backup software. Now I need to read some files backedup on Powervault into Quantum VS80. Per spec both use VS80 format to backup media.
But when I use tapes from Powervault into Quantum VS80, it refuses to read saying unrecognised media format.
Anyone can help in getting Quantum VS80 into reading Powervault 122T tapes ?
I know I have to use merge once media is recognized to read th e info from tape.

thanks
charles

Check the configured block sizes for both tape drives, are the identically set, like both are set to 65536 for example ?? You can check this in the ARCserve Device Manager.

regards

Thanks Cyklops for the reply.
I see the difference in device configuration, eventhough the drive is DLT VS80 ( so is PW 122T), the config shows it different

PV 122T DLT VS80

Cartridge type: DLT DC6000
Format code: Fast Seek Volume Table
Compression: ON ON
Block Size 65536 512

I dont see a way to change this on ArcServeIT, how do I change DLTVS80 parametes on ArcserveIT to match PV122T parameters??

thanks
charles

I guess the PV122T unit is OK, but you have to upgrade the firmware of the Quantum drive.
Check both firmware revisions with the ARCserve Certified Device list.
Be careful with the tapes written in 512 KB blocks. If a firmware upgrade will give the proper results you will not be able to read out these tapes anymore.

regards

Incidentally neither the VS80, nor the 122T are on the CDL for the version of ARCserve you are using. So you are trying to get something to work that was not tested or certified.

8 mm Exabyte tape read/write software. We have home-grown Fortran applications software to process tapes and the r/w routines are also home grown - all under OS/2. But we no longer have capabilities to develop the same for Windows. Looking for a r/w package that we could tie-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back