Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading Old 5-1/4 Diskettes 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
MD
I have a few 5-1/4" diskettes that I would like to get the files off. Can anyone indicate the problems I might encounter.
[ul]
[li]The diskettes are about 35 years old and have been stored in a cool dry environment; I don't know if they are readable.[/li]
[li]I don't recall the interface of the old drives; is it possible to get a connector to go to current USB?[/li]
[li]I assume the old molex connectors haven't changed.[/li]
[li]Two of the diskettes are 360KB and one is a 1.2MB; does this cause any problems?[/li]
[li]I'm running Win 10 Pro; is there a driver for the 5-1/4" drive or does it need one?[/li]
[li]If Win 10 fails, is it possible to use Linux as an OS?[/li]
[li]The data on the diskettes isn't critical, but there are some files that I would like to see again.[/li]
[/ul]Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks Dik

I have a USB diskette reader for 3.5" disks. I think you can find one for your floppies.
I wouldn't expect too much success though. After 33 years I'd be rather surprised if the magnetic signal still had enough power to be read properly.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I have a USB for 1.44MBs diskettes that works fairly well. There are some old files (based on the label info) that I'd like for sentimental reasons. I was concerned about the readabiity of the diskettes. Most of my old 1.44MBs were readable; they are about 5 to 10 years more recent. I was just hoping; I think the 3-1/2" case is a lot more resistant than the plastic ones on the 5-1/4.

Are you aware of any other issues, related to the hardware or the software? Until about 2 years back, I used to have half a dozen 5-1/4" drives, but was housecleaning... big mistake. I haven't had a 5-1/4" drive computer for about a decade.

Thanks...

dik

I picked up a 5-1/4 drive this AM on ebay... does anyone know if there's a drive to USB interface connector? Does anyone recall what the 5-1/4" drive interface is?

Thanks

Thanks so much...

BionicJohn... sent them an eMail enquiring about availability and price.

dik said:
Thanks so much...
You're welcome. It's not that long ago I threw out a double 7" drive - and the tea trolley it sat on! One drive for the OS and the other for data.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Before I would purchase anything (for a one time use), I would contact some 'nerdy' place, like a University or a large company with an IT department, etc. Some people working at those locations may have hardware available to do this already and usually are happy to help. Look for some old-timers, if you can stand all their stories from the times gone by...
[pc2]

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Thanks... I've checked with the IT guy at the firm I used to work for and also posted a query on out local neighbour site... seeing if anyone has an old computer in the basement with 5-1/4s. I haven't heard back from deviceside, yet. Any other issues I might encounter?

Just heard back from Device Side Data, and they are still in business and they have the connector. I'm looking to see if I can scrounge an old PC from someone in the neighbourhood. I haven't heard back from my old IT guy.

It doesn' seem to rain, but it... an eMail from quora.com:
Clipboard01_zkm7xg.jpg

Can I post this site/thread to mention that there is this discussion going on at present.

I've been in contact with an IT person that has an old computer set up for doing 5-1/4 and 3-1/2 diskettes. Apparently, after all this time, all the diskettes are readable. Thanks for the added information.

Clipboard01_bhwxak.jpg

Dik

Closure on this. All files have been downloaded and are readable. It took a couple of tries for the odd one. All files were archived, likely using pkzip. Files date back to the late 1980s. Thanks, gentlemen/ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back