Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading mini CDs and mini DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I have a new problem with my newish laptop. It has one of these new fangled DVD readers that doesn't come out. It is just a slot on the side. You put the CD in and push until something inside catches it. Problem is it won't pull the mini CD in. The only way I can read the CDs is to use an external CD drive that has a tray.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Looks like we're back to the days of 5.25" and 3.5" floppies. I had to keep 2 copies because not everyone had a 3.5" drive and not everyone had a 5.25" drive.

Looks like I'll have to make a normal CD version and keep the mini CD version.

I guess they aren't compatible with these business card CDs either. Good thing I haven't got any of those.

You used to be able to get converters, but but not sure if they still exist. Mine came free with a copy of OMD's Locomotion (1984), that's how old it is!

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Yeah and kids these days moan about price of cds now. Most then cost £15 - £18 !
Don't get me started on a 2 speed writer that retailed at over £1k!

Word of warning on the converters, if you don't cip them in correctly the disc becomes unabalanced and can do odd things, like eject at high speed!

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

My first burner was an HP 4 speed that cost me $400 at Circuit City. I had waited for the price to come down to that. ;)

Jim

My first burner cost me $800, plus a $300 scsi controller. Single speed. And nobody was allowed to walk around the house while I was burning, because the blank CD's at $10 a throw became EXPENSIVE coasters.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

An external USB drive could be the ticket. They're not very expensive.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

gbaughma,

he is already doing exactly that...

xwb,

CD adapters can be found on the net, or possibly in an Apple Store (or from Apple directly) as iMacs Cube have the exact same issue...

since these adapters are pretty much out dated, or just a single manufacturer (Memorex I believe), you may find one, but it will be costly, last I saw they went for $26 or so...

my suggestion, create an ISO image and save it to you HDD, install a VirtualCD (Virtual CloneDrive SlySoft (free)), and when you need it just mount it...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I normally put the virtual CDs on my NAS drive for any machine that needs the drivers. I only noticed this problem because I was trying to make an ISO image from my new lappy when I discovered that it ejected the disk.

Sounds like "there is a hole in my bucket..."

CD adapters sounds interesting. Never seen one of those in the UK. Maybe I'll have a look in Maplins or PC World and confuse the shop assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back