Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reading informaiton from mother board

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonybd

Programmer
Nov 3, 2002
BE
how could i read information from my motherboard ! and send signal to it /? and get value from it ?
for example ,, i want to turn off the fan ? or i want to read ram memory how ?

It's been a while since I've done this so this might be very outdated. AFAIK, you have to do some assembly language calls to the hardware. This is the first gotcha. While assembly is C++ is not impossible it isn't trivial, either.

The second gotcha is the calls are very hardware specific. Unless the manufactures have agreed on a standard each motherboard will have different points in memory where they can be called. You have to contact the motherboard maker to find out. Some manufacturers don't/won't give this info out. You have to buy their software.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

And there are som more issues: a OS above Win98 (NT, ME, 2K, XP and up) will NOT allow you to access other memory than the one you request the normal way and will not allow ANY direct access to the hardware.
The access to hardware can be solved through a special driver, there should be som freewares on the net, i haven't used any so don't ask.

Totte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back