Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading from a text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwray100

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
I'm familiar with writing to a text file (i.e. .csv). I think I learned the method from this forum.

I have a need to read from a text file, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about doing this in a RS macro.

The requirement is to have some semi-static, non-ADP DB data for use in the report output calculations. I'm writing a macro to display the current values to the user for an OK or change. The current values will be read from a text file. Any changes will be written to the text file.

I'll read the text file into a temp table so I can use them in calculations for the report output. The output is basically headcount totals for various health insurance plans * the values from the text file (accrual and admin fee multipliers).

I don't want to use report variables because then the user will have to input the values each time. This leaves room for error and is also unnecessary as the admin fees change annually at most and the accrual rates change once per quarter at most.

So, question is how do I read from the text file or is there a better way to accomplish my overall goal than what I have outlined here.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel Ray
Ronile, Inc.

Most clients would probably use an SQR to read in data from a text file particular if they're system is premise (onsite). The circumstances could be more complicated however for a hosted client.

I remember a client using a macro to read in a csv file vis Reportsmith. It's somewhat out of the box and isn't something that your payroll vendor might support though.

John Sakalauskas
VantageIS,LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back